Am I Being Abused?
- Are you afraid of the person you're going out with?
- Do they call you names; make you feel stupid, or tell you that you can't do anything right?
- Do they say that no one else would ever go out with you?
- Does the person you're involved with tell you where you can and can't go or who you can and can't talk to?
- Do you feel cut off from your friends and family?
- Do you feel if you say no to sexual activities that you will get in trouble? Do you feel pushed or forced into being sexual?
- Does the person say it's your fault when they hurt you?
- Does this person shove, grab, hit, pinch, hold you down or kick you?
- Is the person you're seeing really nice sometimes and really mean at other time (almost like they have two personalities)?
- Does this person make frequent promises to change? Do they pretend that they never hurt you? Or do they tell you that you are "making too big a deal" out of it?
If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," your partner is being abusive towards you. You may want to look at your relationship more closely and find out more about teen dating violence.
More Red Flags That You May Be In An Abusive Relationship:
- Being Physically Hurt
- Feeling Afraid Of Your Girl/Boyfriend
- Feeling Isolated, Maybe Even Alone
- Losing Your Friends
- Changing Your Behavior Because Of Your Girlfriend’s Or Boyfriend’s Jealousy
- Feeling Embarrassed, Put Down, Ashamed, Or Guilty
- Being Threatened
- Feeling Manipulated Or Controlled
- Being Afraid To Express Your Own Feelings Of Anger
- Feeling A Nervous Or Sick Feeling In Your Stomach When Your Girlfriend Or Boyfriend Is Irritated, Frustrated, Or Angry
- Feeling A Pounding Or Fluttering In Your Chest When Your Boyfriend Or Girlfriend Isn’t Happy
- Not Being Allowed To, Or Being Afraid To, Make Decisions For Yourself
- Noticing That Your Girlfriend Or Boyfriend Has Very Traditional (Stereotypical) Beliefs About Women And Men
- Noticing That Your Girlfriend Or Boyfriends Beliefs About The Position Of Men And Women In Society Are Different From Your Own
- Feeling As If Your date Gets Too Personal Or Touches You In An Unwanted Way
- Not Having Your Thoughts Or Wishes For Personal Space Respected
Support our mission